Amy Sample recently shared a “PBS Digital 2013 Year in Review” list, using factoids from the various resources. While this snapshot doesn’t include station information, we thought stations might still find some of this national information interesting. Here’s the digital 2013 PBS Digital Year in Review, “A Record Year for Digital Video Streaming.”
- On average, PBS has more than 28 million unique visitors to its sites each month – an average of 17 million to PBS.org and more than 11 million to PBSKIDS.org. (Google Analytics, January – December 2013)
- Americans viewed more than 3 billion videos across all PBS digital platforms in 2013, a new record for PBS. (Google Analytics, January – December 2013)
- More than 3.4 million PBS viewers viewed more than 51 million videos on PBS OTT apps in 2013. (Google Analytics, May – December 2013)
- 22 percent of PBS Digital users exclusively accessed content on smartphones and tablets, and 56% of all time spent with PBS Digital content came from mobile device users (comScore MediaMetrix Multi-platform, November 2013)
- PBSKIDS.org was the #1 kid’s entertainment site for free video streams online 8 out of 12 months in 2013. (comScore VideoMetrix, January - December 2013)
- More minutes were spent viewing kids video on PBSKIDS.org than any other kids’ site. (comScore VideoMetrix, January – November 2013)
- In total, PBS's general audience and KIDS mobile apps have been downloaded 12 million times. (AppFigures, January 2014)
- PBS Digital Studios gained more than 630,000 subscribers to its YouTube channels. In 2013, YouTube viewers viewed more than 36 million streams of PBS Digital Studios content. (YouTube Analytics, January – December 2013)
- PBS Food traffic grew 95% in 2013 compared to 2012, reaching more than 375,000 unique visitors each month and achieving new traffic record in December 2013. (Google Analytics, January – December 2013)
- PBS Parents traffic grew 25% in 2013, reaching more than 800,000 unique visitors each month (Google Analytics, January – December 2013)
- PBS has more than 1.6 million fans on Facebook and over 1.8 million followers on Twitter. (January 2014)
- More than 1.3 million educators have registered for PBS LearningMedia. (Internal, December 2013)
Please let us know if you have any questions!
By Kate Alany | Director of Digital Analytics | PBS Digital
Kate manages the analytics service for member stations, helping them use the knowledge and analytical tools to better understand and overcome challenges with their difital audience. In her free time, Kate like to analyze all things food and exercise related with the MyFitnessPal app, make memes, and spend time with her newborn daughter.