A Word from Your Peers: Learn
Describe social media in one word.
Describe your role at the station.
Social Media and Web Specialist. I manage the main brands via social media as well as collaborate with the sub-brands that are in-house (Rewire, MN Original, tptMN, Sparticl, SciGirls, Next Avenue, etc). I also work with several people around the station to promote shows via the website using our pages, banners, and news updates, with a heavy focus on video and shareable content.
Describe your social media strategy in two sentences or less.
TPT strives to communicate with our audience our programming, events and updates station-wide. We have a large local footprint and make sure to pay attention and support the individuals and businesses who help the station run every day.
Outside of Facebook and Twitter, what is your favorite social channel?
Twitter; the rapidity and ease feel so normal to me, given my 26 year-old millennial status. It’s such a fast way to connect locally and globally. Plus, it’s just fun.
What are the social media tips you think every person in your role should know?
Without being too corny and buzzword-y:
- Stay relevant (But, nostalgia is welcome)
- Don’t make everything about you
- Stay up to date (Is your twitter background dated/irrelevant?)
- Help your peers spread their messages – they’ll pay it forward
- Don’t think too hard about sharing something, go with your gut (But make sure it’s somewhat appropriate to your brand, message, goal)
- Be careful when joining the conversation about larger world issues or tragedies, a lack of information or personal bias can make a brand look bad and uninformed